Top 6 Beginner Workout Mistakes!

Build Muscle in 90 Days – http://athleanx.com/x/my-workouts
Subscribe to this channel here – http://bit.ly/2b0coMW

Beginner workouts are incredibly important since they set the foundation for all gains to come. In this video, I’m going to go over the biggest beginner workout mistakes that people make that undercut their ability to see the best results that they can get in the long run. I will cover everything from the importance of the bench press, squat and deadlift while remembering not to rely solely on them or attempt to lift too much weight at the expense of good form.

To start, full range of motion on exercises is incredibly important for anyone lifting weights. This holds true whether you are a beginner or even more advanced. The use of full range of motion helps to strengthen the kinetic chain while improving coordination. Many beginners lack joint coordination or awareness in space and instead will use shortened range of motions in order to trick themselves into thinking they are doing more than they are.

The compound lifts are key exercises for promoting the opportunity for full range of motion. Because they utilize multiple muscle groups and joints they allow you to load up the highest amounts of weights that you can on any exercise. That tends to create some fear of these exercises for beginners however. The sense of danger on these exercises is certainly higher than on a concentration curl but that doesn’t mean they should be avoided.

Instead, using weight that you can command and building a true strength base on top of that is the answer. If you start using weights that you can handle and continue to increase your strength on these lifts over time, you won’t fear the movement. As you see results come from performing these exercises you will become less self conscious of those around you and your fears of using weights that you feel are too light in comparison to what others are using.

Remember, we all start somewhere. Even the strongest guy in the gym started out using the bar. Keep adding weights only when you can perform the lift in good form. Too many so called experts think that it is a badge of honor to have a “strong” lift when it is nothing more than an average lift wrapped around a whole lot of bad form and compensation. Do not copy this. You may even wind up looking as bad as they do if you follow that advice.

From here you want to make sure that you do not approach your training and workout sessions lazily. What this means is that instead of just grabbing a bar, squeeze it for all its worth. The strength that is elicited by simply doing that will surprise you. Do not just move the bar from point A to point B, execute the movement and exercise with your highest intensity. You will need a great deal of grip strength as a beginner to take advantage of this but you can build that by not avoiding forearm work and remembering to rack all of your own dumbbells and plates.

If you are looking for a workout program for beginners that will help you to build muscle fast, head to http://athleanx.com and get the ATHLEAN-X Training System. Start training like an athlete and building a solid foundation of muscle, strength and athleticism and you will be amazed at how much faster you see results long term.

For more beginner workout videos, tips and techniques for novice to advanced lifters be sure to subscribe to our channel here on youtube at http://youtube.com/user/jdcav24

1. ATHLEAN-X™ says:

Want to win an ATHLEAN-X program for free, no strings attached? Click the link below to find out how!

2. rob says:

Jesse should be swole as shit by now. He must not have those muscle building genes. Or he’s not eating enough, but how can this be with Jeff training him?

3. Oscar Meza says:

This video was really helpful. I’ve been working out since middle school and even coached at some point but I found I’ve made some of these mistakes myself.

4. That squeezing part is awesome it helps a lot.

5. MarsFire says:

The hardest part of this as beginner is working out alone. I have Jess body so it’s at least encouraging. Thank u.

6. Resinds .P says:

????????????? First you sayed you should not do more then 40 Reps , because then you would train for endurance , so you should do 3-5 Reps with heavy weight , 3 times .

But now you sayed , you should not use heavy weights ?? What are u on about, these are misleading informations

7. b1rdkeeper S says:

I need to find a girl who looks at me the way Jesse looks at Jeff

8. Bear Knight says:

Listen to this man, I found this video after I caused a back injury with bad posture and inadequate back to front muscle ratio doing bench presses

9. Israel Reyes says:

Was thinking about not going to the gym but this changed my mind

10. Draggy654 says:

I cringe multiple times when i go to the gym and see ppl doing dumb shit but i have learned to leave them alone since no one appreciates being given advice

11. Jessie is still scrawny

12. Mitesh Raja says:

Jesse arms look much better

13. Justin B says:

The instructor said to not worry about the weight and the number of reps just bring the intensity…..then at the end my man says he dead lifted 405 🤦🏽‍♂️ tomorrow I’m going for the 405

14. DeAnna Ziots says:

These really help. However I personally am stuck at PF due to budget. So I am stuck with doing squats and bench with a Smith machine…..what is everyone's opinion about that? I do alternative exercises most of the time because I am just not a fan.

15. Shlok More says:

Jesse is the morty to jeff's rick😂

16. skylerdragon says:

Great video guys!!! Jessie has made great progress, keep it up.

17. Isaac Nunez says:

I have that same posture and it hurts doing light weight dead lifts. How can I correct my posture

18. MMetelli says:

Using weights you cannot command is the big one. If you want to do 40 on the dumbells, but your body's yelling "Asshole, no!", go lower. Even if you get laughed at (you won't); better to be "shamed" than hurt.

19. Find yourself somone that looks at you the way Jesse looks at Jeff

20. D Lish says:

I'm a woman and I love watching Jeff's videos… They're super informational… When I get to the gym I walk in and say "what's up guys Jeff Cavaliere from AthleanX.com" lol